Ladies Who Laugh: 10 Awesome Women Making the World Funnier
November 22, 2017
I’m thankful for approximately 4,500 things this year. But in the spirit of “going around the large Thanksgiving table and there is really only time for each person to share one thing before the sweet potatoes get cold” I’m getting laser thankful focused. This Thanksgiving I’m thankful for ladies who laugh, and ladies who make us laugh.
Women in the entertainment industry clearly have been dealt an incredibly raw deal over the past, I don’t know, infinity number of years. And yet through discrimination, and harassment, and assault (because there are far too many people who don’t know how to be decent or even just regular human beings) women continue to shine in their craft day after day, year after year. I’m truly in awe of these women and their resilience. And today to the female comedians in particular – I’m very, very thankful.
For your trailblazing spirit. For your wit. For your grit. For your impeccable comedic timing. For your strength. For creating some of my all time favorite pieces of comedy. For never making me doubt that women can be funny.
Because damn straight women are funny.
And these 10 ladies, well these ladies are hilarious. Some you know well, other may be new because I’m a comedy hipster, and one is my kid which makes my heart explode into one million pieces of comedy joy. From new kid on the block to insanely rich and famous celebrity, all of these women are out there making the world so much cooler because they’ve got the jokes and they aren’t afraid to laugh hysterically from the roof tops. There will NEVER be enough hysterical roof top laughter.
Enjoy some of their work below as an early Christmas gift from me to you. Or really from them to you, all I really did was the wrapping. (Affiliate Links)
1.Tiffany Haddish dominated SNL. DOMINATED. Watch this and then the Boo Boo Jeffries sketch. Please.
2. Everything that Jenny Lawsonhas ever said and/or written down. She’s my taxidermied spirit animal. And I won’t explain that. You’ll just have to read her books.
“Because you are defined not by life’s imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing – rather than running from – the utter absurdity of life.”
― Jenny Lawson,
3. Like I was going to write a post about funny women without including a Kate McKinnonsketch.
4. Haven’t read The Daily Tay? Get there. I like to think that Taylor Wolfe and I would be friends in real life. Or maybe she would just acknowledge me in the hallway but we wouldn’t sit together at lunch because she would be at the cool kids’ table.
5 & 6. The Queens. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler could just sit there breathing and it would be funny.
7. Mindy Kaling on The Office was perfection. Mindy Kaling creating and starring in her own show, even more perfection. But my favorite has to be Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). #Goals
8. I will happily spew my nonsense behind the safety of my computer screen because from here I can just assume you are all cry-laughing. Stand up comedy? Oh, no thank you. That sounds terrifying. But I adore the women who slay it, like Aparna Nancherla. #Slay #SlayAllDay
9. If you’ve watched Parks and Rec or The Good Place, then you know writer Megan Amram. This genius behind the scenes has a way with words, a way with snark, and way with telling it like it is but funnier. Follow her on Twitter for 140 character laughs, and watch everything she writes that goes on television.
10. And saving my favorite lady laughing for last. I’m inspired by you every day. And I’m grateful for the strong women paving the way for you who look hate in the eye and say loudly and clearly, “you won’t win.” Always remember: Girls Never Give Up.
With love, laughter, girl power, and gratitude,
But Becca, I need more funny things to read! I’ve got you.